The Firm has extensive experience in every phase of litigation and arbitration in a broad range of contested matters. The Firm combines large firm expertise with small firm service and individualized attention. Representative Reported Cases illustrate the breadth of the Firm’s civil litigation practice.
In addition to commercial disputes, the Firm has engaged in civil litigation and arbitration matters involving Entertainment and sports law, Family Law, Health care law, and Defamation, privacy, & the Internet.
The Firm’s approach to contested matters is keyed to promptly achieving a clear understanding of the underlying facts and the potential strengths and weaknesses of the client’s position, analyzing the applicable law, and working closely with the client to maximize efficiency without sacrificing quality.
Although many disputes settle before trial, the Firm’s extensive preparation is geared to positioning its clients to achieve the strongest possible negotiating position in settlement negotiations, and obtaining a favorable result at trial if the matter proceeds.
Defending Individuals and Companies in Federal and State Courts and Arbitration Proceedings
The firm defends individuals and business entities accused by government agencies and adverse parties of contract breaches, tortious conduct, and criminal behavior. Our experience with these cases is diverse and multi-faceted, including:
- Representation of an accountant whose major public company audit client perpetrated one of the largest financial frauds in United States history. The client was never found to have committed any misconduct, despite intensive investigation, a multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit, an SEC proceeding, and a federal criminal prosecution of various other participants in the audit.
- Advising a public company and its Board of Directors in a Martin Act proceeding brought by the New York State Attorney General in connection with a public offering of a subsidiary. The matter was resolved with no admission of wrongdoing or liability and no penalties against any client.
- Counseling a university professor accused of sexual misconduct involving a graduate student. Despite the lack of any opportunity for either discovery or motion practice under the university rules and significant restrictions on the confrontation of witnesses, the professor was fully exonerated after an evidentiary hearing.
- Defending a doctor at a teaching hospital who was accused of substandard medical practice by a colleague. Following extensive factual development by our firm, all charges were withdrawn, and the doctor was promoted to professor emeritus status upon the unequivocal recommendation of his former accuser.
- Litigating on behalf of trustees of a health insurance plan who were investigated by the United States Department of Labor and charged with violations of ERISA in a federal class action lawsuit. The Labor Department issued a "no action" letter, and the lawsuit was settled with no admission of wrongdoing or liability and no personal liability on the part of any of the trustees.
- Representation of an entertainment industry personality accused of violations of federal statutes in litigation in two federal district courts in different circuits. The firm achieved dismissal of all claims in all courts in decisions rendered and joined in by all of the district and circuit judges to whom the issues were presented.